When styling our bedrooms, we need to be aware of the role that they play in our homes. It’s a place to seek romance, refuge, and relaxation. We all know that a good night’s rest is a key component to a successful start to our day. Yet, so many of us just plop under the blankets, turn on the television, or scroll endlessly through cell phone data.
Source: Pottery Barn
Currently, I’m participating in Deepak Chopra’s 21 day meditation experience. In one of his lessons, Deepak explains that biologically sleep provides healing time for our body and mind. We now know, “that during sleep, the brain clears chemical debris and waste product in specific ways.” He further explains that meditation, or inward time, “is possibly the second most powerful healing time after sleep.”
Investing in a few key pieces for the bedroom is one of the simplest things we can do. Ease into sleep by quieting your mind, reflecting on a few things you are grateful for and what your intentions are for the next day. It truly is one of the best gifts we can give to our own self.
1. Bedding ~ Think about how you feel when you check into a luxurious hotel. I don’t know about you, but hotel bedding is at the top of my favorite things list. Create that in your own bedroom by investing in quality bedding. At the very least purchase a new luxurious blanket or throw; something soft that feels amazing against your skin. I recently purchased a higher quality down comforter and it has been a complete game changer. In the colder months, depending on where you live, opt for flannel sheets and/or an extra blanket. Comfort is key to our quality of rest.
2. Indulge ~ While we’re speaking about hotels, why should vacation be the only time we allow ourselves our first cup of coffee or tea in bed? Why not place a single serve Keurig on your dresser? Start your day with a relaxed and motivated mindset by enjoying your first warm cup of coffee or tea in bed and read a few pages of inspirational material. Or, just sit and appreciate the morning, journal, or set intentions for your day.
3. Stretch ~ If you enjoy yoga and mediation, then carve out a small space to do so in the comfort of your bedroom. Light a candle, do some gentle stretching and breathing exercises before slipping away to dreamland.
4. Engage your senses ~ Scents are a simple, yet effective way to engage our mind and body for rest. Burn incense, or my personal favorite, sandalwood, to raise your spirits. For stress release and relaxation, purchase an essential oil diffuser or lavender spray for your sheets.
5. Be Present ~ On my night stand, I have a soft lamp for reading and for easing into my morning. I also have a salt lamp for it’s calming orange glow, and a small stack of inspiring books on display. Knowing the wisdom they contain reminds me to breathe naturally and maintain my presence when I glance over at them.
6. Reflect ~ Inside my nightstand, I have a small note pad and journal to write down any thoughts or notes that may try to disrupt my sleep. Journaling is something I’m getting into recently, and I just purchased this one.
We begin and end our day in the bedroom. Therefore, making it one of the most tranquil rooms in our home sets us up for success each day.